United Power is a not-for-profit electric cooperative, owned by the customer-members who receive electricity from us. We are governed by a member-elected board of directors, who direct the operations of the cooperative, oversee needed rate changes, and help the staff and employees plan for the future of the company. Through careful management and constant improvements in technology, United Power demonstrates its commitment to being the Utility of Choice by using innovation and efficiency to provide economical and reliable power to our members.
United Power is a rural electric cooperative, providing electric service to homes and businesses throughout Colorado's northern front range. The service territory extends from the mountains of Coal Creek and Golden Gate Canyon to the farmlands of Brighton, Hudson and Keenesburg. At the end of 2012, the cooperative reached 70,000 meters representing more than 200,000 customers.
**Click to enlarge**
Surrounding Denver on three sides, United Power serves 900 square miles along the north central range of the Colorado Rockies. Our service territory wraps around the north and west borders of Denver International Airport, and includes the north metropolitan development corridors, including Interstate 25, Interstate 76, State Highway 85, and E-470.
United Power has electric franchise agreements to serve all of the new growth areas of the following Colorado cities:
|Arvada ||Dacono ||Hudson ||Northglenn |
|Brighton ||Erie ||Johnstown ||Thornton |
|Broomfield ||Firestone ||Keenesburg ||Westminster |
|Central City ||Fort Lupton ||Lochbuie || |
|Commerce City ||Frederick* ||Mead || |
|*Wholesale electric supplier to the municipal system. |
United Power was originally founded as Union Rural Electric. The cooperative was incorporated in October of 1938 through the efforts of 26 original founders. Dubbed Union Rural Electric by the original founders, the name came to describe the "united" efforts of dozens of farmers from Adams, Boulder, Gilpin, Jefferson and Weld counties. Roughly a year after the cooperative was incorporated, construction began on 300 miles of distribution line that would serve 750 customers. Power first surged through the newly erected lines on January 29, 1940.
In 1952, Union Rural Electric joined with 24 other rural electric utilities to form Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association. Exhibiting extraordinary foresight, the move guaranteed an adequate source of electricity for the coming years of growth. The partnership between Tri-State and United Power remains strong today, as power generation continues to be a key part of the rural electric quotient.
In April of 1990, the cooperative name was changed to United Power, Inc., a visible sign of a new, more powerful entity emerging in the electric industry. By November of the same year, United Power had added over 6,000 new customers with the acquisition of the Platte Valley Division. The Platte Valley Division encompassed the cities of Fort Lupton, Hudson, Keenesburg and the surrounding rural lands. To better help serve customers in this new district, United added another branch in Fort Lupton. The 1993 acquisition of customers in the city of Brighton fueled a second surge of growth, adding an additional 6,000 meters. By the end of 2008, the cooperative served more than 65,000 meters.
Facts & Figures
As of December 31, 2012
Number of meters: 70,101
Miles of line: 5,704
Number of employees: 157
Average kWh per member/month
Residential: 902 kWh
Sources of revenue
Large Commercial: 11.4%
Small Commercial: 30.5%
Other Operating Revenues: 4.5%
Tri-State Allocations (non-cash): 3.36%
Other Allocations (non-cash) & Income: 0.7%
Total assets: $312,779,654
Cost of purchased power: $105,085,540