United Power is attempting to issue unclaimed capital credit refunds to members who received electric service from the cooperative prior to 2017. If you were a member up to December 31, 2016, you may be eligible to receive a capital credit refund.
What Are Capital Credits?
Cooperative members periodically receive capital credit refunds, based on their electric use during a specified time period. The amount you will receive is based on the amount of power you used and the rates paid for the time period being retired. If the customer is deceased the credits may be claimed through the estate.
Who May be Eligible for a Refund?
- If you were a United Power member for any period of time through December 31, 2016 and have moved out of the United Power service territory.
- Accounts of a deceased member may have funds due and the credits may be claimed by the estate.
- Current members may be eligible, but all current members are encouraged to look at the list, especially if:
- You have recently moved;
- Changed your name;
- Added your name to an existing account;
- Did not cash a capital credit check issued in 2016 or earlier.
How Can I Find Out If I Am Due a Refund?
Review the unclaimed list here to see if you are due a refund. To find out how to claim your capital credit, visit the Unclaimed Capital Credit page, linked here and on the Capital Credit page under the "My Cooperative" tab in the menu bar.
Lists will also be posted in the lobbies of offices in Brighton, Carbon Valley and Coal Creek Canyon. Please visit www.unitedpower.com/contact-us for office hours and addresses.
My Name is On The List. How Do I Claim My Money?
If you find your name on the list of unclaimed capital credits on our website, download and complete the Patronage Capital Refund Request form. If you do not have internet access, call our Capital Credit information line at 303-637-1200, leave a message with your name and mailing address and we will mail you the request form. Please complete this form and mail it back to United Power in order to have your account researched.
FORMS MUST BE RECEIVED BY UNITED POWER BY MAY 1, 2021.